York Times - Movies - Page that has recent film-related articles and
a handy search box for finding reviews.
Internet Movie Database (IMDb) - Helpful resource not only for films
but also for television.
- Compiles links to movie reviews.
- Movies - A comprehensive reference for movies playing in the D.C.
metro area. Helpful for finding reviews, showtimes, theater locations,
and more. Some particularly useful pages are:
- Movies currently playing at Landmark's E Street Cinemas -
Art-house theater near Metro Center. (See also the E
Street theater's website and the combined
site for both of Landmark's D.C.-area theaters.)
- Movies currently playing at Landmark's Bethesda Row Cinemas
- Shows art-house films. (See also the
Bethesda theater's website and the combined
site for both of Landmark's D.C.-area theaters.)
- Movies currently playing at the AFI Silver - See also the
website of this
Silver Spring branch of the American
- Movies currently playing at the Avalon - See also the website
of this restored theater. Shows art-house films.
- Movies currently playing at West End - See also the website
of this new art-house theater in what used to be the Loews Cineplex Odeon
- Movies currently playing at the Uptown - One of the last
great old-time movie palaces.
- Movies currently playing at the P&G Old Greenbelt Theatre
- Old-time large-screen theater showing art-house films. Has a rudimentary
- Movies currently playing at the Regal Gallery Place 14 -
Downtown theater showing mainstream movies.
- Movies currently playing at the Majestic 20 - Mainstream
Silver Spring theater.
- Movies currently playing at the AMC Shirlington - Arlington
theater that tends to duplicate Landmark's selections.
- Movies currently playing at Arlington Cinema'n'Drafthouse - Second-run theater. See also the movies page of its website.
- Movies currently playing at Ballston Commons - Mainstream
- Movies currently playing at Courthouse - Another mainstream
currently playing at the Regal Royale 14 - Multiplex in Hyattsville.
- Movies currently playing at Regal Potomac Yard 16 - Generally
mainstream Alexandria theater, pricier than other Regals.
City Paper - film listings
- A helpful resource for film listings and showtimes, even if you don't
use it to purchase tickets. Tends to list film times further in advance
than the Washington Post's movie listings, and is thus helpful for determining
when a film's run is about to end.
Moviefone listings for Washington, D.C. theaters
at the Freer Gallery - This page lists free films shown at Washington,
D.C.'s Freer Gallery
of Art, which is one of the two national museums of Asian art at the
A particular highlight is the annual "Made
in Hong Kong" film series, held every summer.
at the National Gallery - List free films shown at the National
Gallery of Art.
at the Library of Congress - Unfortunately, the Mary
Pickford Theater of the Library
of Congress seems to be on hiatus.
Hoff Theater, Univ. of MD - Shows mostly second-run mainstream films,
but also hosts the occasional sneak preview.
DC - Annual April event.
Films Christine has seen as part of Filmfest
2001: 101 Reykjavik, The Luzhin
Defence, Ratcatcher, Angels of the Universe, Breaking
Out, Brother, Born Romantic, Wild About Harry
2002: Mirror Image, Possible
Loves, Jalla! Jalla!, Warm Water Under a Red Bridge,
A Hell of a Day, Vizontele, The King Is Dancing,
Code Unknown, The Last Kiss, The Piano Teacher, You
Really Got Me, Millennium Mambo
2003:The Heart of Me, Bollywood/Hollywood,
Blue Gate Crossing, Tanguy, Red Satin, Loco Fever,
Music for Weddings and Funerals, Yank Tanks, Mon-Rak
Transistor, Waves, Nothing More, For the Children,
2004: The Twilight Samurai, September,
Two Summers, Paper Clips, The Seagull's Laughter, Cleopatra,
Breaking Up, Kops, Green Tea, Ana and the Others
2005: Kings and Queen, Dil Se..., Untold Scandal,
2006: Crossing the Bridge: The Sound of Istanbul, Three Times,
Wrong Side Up, C.R.A.Z.Y., A World Without Thieves
2007: Exiled, Just Sex and Nothing Else, Time, Beauty
in Trouble, program of short films (Deface, Before Dawn,
Les Volets (The Shutters), Security, Tube with a Hat,
Ten to Two)
2008: Made in Jamaica (3 or 2 stars),
Patti Smith: Dream of Life (3 or 4 stars), The Matador (5
stars), The Home Song Stories (3 stars), In the Name of God
(1 or 2 starsso bad Christine walked out), Tell No One
(4 stars), Elite Squad (4 or 5 stars), Mister Foe (4 stars),
program of short films (4 stars overall - films were: Home (Acasa),
Run, Ver Llover, Polska Roadmovie, The Mozart of
2009: program of short films (films were:
Good Trip, Copy of Coralie, Jerrycan, Next Floor,
Instead of Abracadabra, Paseo)
2010: Letters to Father Jacob, Air
Doll, Beyond Ipanema, Reykjavik-Rotterdam, The Message
2011: The Man from Nowhere, Easy
Money, Juan (Danish-made English-language production of Don
2012: Starbuck, The Cat Vanishes
2013: Easy Money II, The Deep
International Film Festival - This annual August film festival has
premiered such films as The House of Mirth and The Low Down.
In August 2000 at the Edinburgh Film Festival,
Christine saw Miss Julie; The Low Down; the documentaries
Caesar's Park and Me & Isaac Newton; and Shots
1 and Shots 2, two presentations of music videos in conjunction
a now-defunct TV series on the UK's Channel
Information and Culture Center - Occasionally the JICC, a division
of the Embassy of Japan,
shows a free film. (See the JICC's events
CD FAQ - This is archive.org's record of a Geocities-hosted guide
to VCDs (video CDs), a format slightly below VHS in picture quality. Now
largely eclipsed by DVDs, VCDs were popular in Hong Kong and Taiwan in
the late 1990s and early 2000s. The discs play on computers and some DVD
players, and tended to be cheaper than VHS tapes.